Jobs & Volunteer Opportunities
Jobs & Volunteer Opportunities
Openings at WAM
About Working at WAM
Museum Education Coordinator Airion Rivero (far right) assists with artmaking during Saturday’s Family ArtVenture
The Wichita Art Museum is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. The Museum does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other category protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.
The Wichita Art Museum has one of the premier collections of American art and has a $4 million annual budget, staff of 24 full-time, 32 part-time, and a corps of 100+ volunteers. The museum is a public/private partnership, owned by the City of Wichita and managed by Wichita Art Museum, Inc.
Accredited by the American Alliance of Museums, the Wichita Art Museum’s mission brings people, ideas, and American art together to enrich lives and build community.
New Position Opening
WAM’s Welcome Desk
Full-Time Welcome Desk Coordinator
The Wichita Art Museum (WAM) is looking for an enthusiastic, reliable, outgoing individual to provide museum customers with an outstanding experience and the highest level of customer service. As the first impression for all guests, this position requires positive energy and a great attitude.
• Provide excellent service by exhibiting a positive attitude, enthusiasm, and being attentive to visitor’s needs
• Greet visitors and answer phones in a friendly and positive manner
• Familiarize yourself daily with events and happenings in the museum, to convey information to guests
• Educate visitors on membership benefits and levels to successfully sell memberships
• Communicate with various departments of the museum to streamline activities and processes at visitor check in
• Participate in museum training and meetings for planning Museum initiatives and welcome desk roles
• Handle all incoming calls in a professional manner, answering questions and directing calls
• Check in visitors and collect visitor information
• Support multiple departments requiring guest experiences and services along with other duties as needed
• Communicate to guests what is happening in the museum with knowledge of exhibitions, special events, programming and activities available
• Utilize Microsoft Office, Point of sale software and programs
• Full-time position with a schedule of 40 hours per week including weekends
• Museum hours are Wednesday-Sunday from 10am-5pm. Evening hours are required for Fridays and events.
Required Skills and Experience
• Strong, proven experience in customer service with an outgoing and enthusiastic personality
• Must be able to multi-task, manage general office duties, and have computer skills. (Office, POS, Veevart a plus)
• Collaborative nature and ability to work both independently and as a team member
• Comfortable with interactions at all levels of management, staff and the public
• Maturity to accommodate frequently shifting priorities calmly and professionally
• Superior organizational and communication skills, both verbal and written
• Ability to accurately handle money, work cash register and process credit card transactions
• Ability to be flexible with duties and work in the store if needed
Salary commensurate with experience. To apply, email (1) cover letter outlining qualifications and salary requirements, (2) resume, and (3) three references with contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Offer of employment will be made contingent upon passing a drug screening and background check. The Wichita Art Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer and offers veteran’s preference to applicants who meet eligibility requirements.
Become a WAM Docent
WAM Docent Corp — May 2022
Are you interested in being on Team WAM? Do you have what it takes to get excited about all forms and genres of American art? Do you enjoy sharing your enthusiasm with groups of school children? Are you looking for opportunities to keep engaged and active and give back to the Wichita community? WAM is looking for you.
WAM trains volunteer tour guides to provide exceptional educational tours for visitors to the museum. Docents undertake training to learn about art history, museum education, touring and interactive strategies, and communication skills. Being a docent at WAM encourages greater visual and cultural literacy, fosters lifelong learning, and creates lasting friendships. For more information, email email@example.com.