Considering a gift of artwork to the Wichita Art Museum? We are honored that you would contemplate that generous act. In fact, the museum has careful guidelines and a deliberate process for accepting art to the permanent collection. Accepting any gift of art must be aligned with the Collection Plan and in the long-term best interests of the museum.
All donations of art must be reviewed and approved by the internal Collection Committee as well as the full Board of Trustees. The curator prepares a detailed analysis to support the acquisition for both groups.
As a rule, the museum values quality over quantity. We strive to build a collection of artwork with national and international importance. So, WAM acquires only the best. New additions to the collection must have clear historical importance and aesthetic excellence as well as enhance the artworks that are already part of the museum’s holdings.
If you would like the Wichita Art Museum to consider a gift of art and you believe it will fulfill our desire to acquire the very best, please follow these steps:
- Send good quality photographs and full description of the artwork to the museum’s curatorial staff.
- Wait patiently while the curator reviews your information with appropriate museum leaders.
- Museum staff will contact you and share information on additional steps in the lengthy process of institutional review.
- If the museum proceeds with your generous offer to donate, the artwork will be brought to the museum for a Collection Committee meeting.
- In the end, formal paperwork–including a Deed of Gift–will be completed to officially transfer title of the artwork to the Wichita Art Museum.
We thank you for considering a gift to WAM!